Millions of people are spamming reporters, journalists, and influential bloggers. They spam out their stories because email spam is free and easy. News-wire services spam them as well. So journalists, and influential bloggers, have filters to block these spammed stories.
Today with social media, and email, anyone can blast out their message.
But what works to cut through the noise so your message reaches the people that matter?
* Make the story the focus, not the media, that’s where I start. A good story gets shared.
* Understand how key reporters, bloggers and journalists think, and work.
* Find these key influencers, the ones with audiences that are large, but who also need good content to promote.
* Write a story that they want to write about, and publish.
* Pitch to these key influencers and journalists in a way that they respond to.
If you want to do that yourself, read Eric’s DIY Guide to Getting Free Publicity!
There are three ways to get published at scale:
Luck, Paid Advertising, or Professional PR. PR is not free, but when done right, it can catapult a message beyond what paid advertising can do.
This is my passion, to get your message buzzing among the people that matter to you.
Most of my releases run in the publications I target for a few reasons.
1) I know the pressures reporters face to produce good content.
2) Reporters follow news trends, so do I.
3) I know how to get a reporter’s attention, and pitch them so THEY want to run YOUR story.
What you want are publications that readers actually read, with high Google rank.
The only way to get on these sites is through the reporters, bloggers and journalists who control them.
You need the right story + pitched to the right journalists + in the right way.
I work with clients to develop a story that reporters WANT to write about, influential bloggers WANT on their site, and publication WANT to publish.
With the story idea, I write one, or more, releases for your approval.
Next, I compile a list of the top influences, bloggers, and journalists who would be interested in your story. These writers are people that have a big audience, at least 5,000 readers.
When these key writers post an article, your message is read, acted on, and shared like wildfire.
No – I don’t then spam your story to these key writers.
Boring as it sounds, I actually read their blog, articles and publication to gauge an approach.
I then, sort these reporters/ journalists/ influential bloggers into groups based on pitch angle.
With your final approval, I pitch the releases to these key reporters/ journalists/ influential bloggers.
This means I actually contact them, one at a time, and tell them why I think your story is right for THEM to report.
And why their READERS would want to read it.
In short, I am going to do real, PR, pitching – old school style.
This is what works.
I will NOT be blasting releases to hundreds of journalists.
I will NOT be posting the releases to the release distribution network.
– Neither of these strategies will get you any press coverage.
What you’ll get is your story, professionally written, with an angle that will be of interest to key influencers, bloggers and reporters.
Then pitched to these key journalists. And I’ll follow up with each contact.
What I need from you.
– Your product/service/cause and some description about how it fits in the market place.
– A realistic expectation. If you have another diet pill, it’s going to be hard to get press.
But if you have something that is news-worthy, or think you might, I’ll pitch it hard for you.
– Be open to some questions from me.
I can provide a news tracking strategy for article tie-ins.
Sometimes a news story causes reporters to want a related, followup story. For my ongoing clients, I can be ready with followup stories.
Let me know if you’re ready to GO!